- DGS circular on CoC renewal: DGS circular 143/2018
Procedure for Revalidation of Marine Engineer Officers COC:
All of the following need to be fulfilled for revalidation ofCOC
- Undertake the Refresher and Updating training course for revalidation (three days
course) in an approved training institute conducting the course .
- Meet the standards of medical fitness as prescribed in the Merchant Shipping
(Medical Examination) Rules 2000 as amended and the STCW Code;
3 Complete the approved Refresher training course for Personal Survival Techniques (PST), Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat other than Fast Rescue Boats (PSCRB), Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting (FPFF) /Advanced Fire Fighting (AFF),and the Medical first Aid (MFA) wherever such certificates are five years old.
4 Establish continued professional competence as required under Regulation Vll of
STCW Convention and rule 14 of M.S (STCW) Rules 2014 by:
(i) approved seagoing service, performing functions appropriate to the certificate
held, for a period of at least twelve months in total during the preceding five
(ii) three months in total during the preceding six months immediately prior to
(iii) having performed functions considered to be equivalent to the seagoing service
required in paragraph 3.4 (i) above [e.g., (a) Full time technical surveyors for a
period of at least Two Years with a maritime administration or with an
organization recognized by the Indian maritime administration and engaged in
work related to survey, inspection / certification of ships, examination of
candidates for Certificate of Competency. Independent/individual surveyors,
non-exclusive surveyors, undertaking part-time survey/inspection are not
covered in this category @) Full time Lecturers for a period of at least Two
years at a DG approved training institutes who have been teaching revalidation
courseVPreparatory Courses continuously for a period of two years at
management level i.e. MEO ClassJI and MEO Class-I. Institute should have
conducted these courses and such faculty must have been engaged in imparting
the course during the period and mere approval to conduct the course will not be
acceptable (c) Full time Lecturers for a period of at least Three Years at a DG
approved training institutes who have been teaching Pre Sea Four Year Course /
One Year Pre-Sea Graduate Entry course / Refresher & up-dating training
course for revalidation ofengineer oflicers Certificate of Competency. lnstitute
should have conducted these courses during the period and mere approval to
conduct the course will not be acceptable (d) Full Time Technical
Superintendents / Designated Persons (lSM Code) for a period ofat least Three
Years with companies who are responsible for the technical operation of vessels of more than 750 KW (e) Any combination of above mentioned equivalent experiences to be calculated on pro rata to the years of service vis-d-vis the requirement], or
(iv) Passing an approved test, i.e. Oral examination; or
(v) Successfully completing an approved training Course, i.e. preparatory Course of
the respective grade or the next higher grade; or
(vi) having completed approved seagoing service, performing functions appropriate
to the certificate held, for a period of not less than three months in a
supemumerary capacity, or in a rank next below to that for which the certificate
held is valid, immediately prior to taking up the rank for which it is valid.
- On fulfillment of above requirements and submission of online application, Certificate of Competency shall be revalidated and revalidation sticker will be dispatched to candidate.
- On receipt of revalidation sticker, candidate will have to paste the same in his CoC.
- The requirements of this notice are to be complied in totality at the time of Revalidation of CoC which are already upgraded to 2010 STCW amendments and the requirements of this Refresher and Updating Training Course for revalidation of engineer officers will come into force with effect from l$ April 2018.
- The certificates of competency issued under STCW 78 as amended in 1995 or STCW 78 has to be revalidated in accordance with the relevant circulars issued prior applying for revalidation under this circular.
- The Maritime Training Institutes conducting the I I days Refresher and upgrading
training course are allowed to start the 3 day course and subsequently request for
inspection within a month of starting the course.